The jQuery Mobile team is excited to announce the first release candidate for 1.4.0. For this new version of the jQuery Mobile framework we focused on performance improvements, reviewing widgets as well as a new default theme and SVG icons. Some of the new features in 1.4 are a flip switch widget, a generic filter widget named “filterable”, popups with arrows, tooltips for sliders and we integrated the tabs widget from jQuery UI.
See the changelog below for the key changes, and have a look at the jQuery Mobile 1.4.0 Beta 1 announcement to find out about all highlights of this new version of jQuery Mobile.
Demos | Key changes | Download & CDN
Changes since 1.4.0 beta
We would like to thank everyone for testing the alpha and beta releases! The issues with panels, as well as most of the other bugs that were reported, are fixed in this RC1 release. We also changed the active colors in the new default theme a bit.
All demos have been updated and the problems with the Download Builder have been resolved. The 1.4 API documentation will be available when we release 1.4.0 final. We are also still working on updating the ThemeRoller for 1.4, which takes more time than usual because of all the changes we made in the theme CSS.
Please help us by testing the Release Candidate and reporting issues.
- Theming: The active and focus styles are now themeable
- Links: Deprecated class ui-link. One style for links in body and bars (bar link colors were never themeable in ThemeRoller)
- Controlgroup: Added option theme
- Popup: New feature popup arrow
- Slider: New feature slider tooltip
- Touch events now have teardown methods
- New option for taphold event $.special.event.tap.emitTapOnTaphold default = true;
- New widget Toolbar: replaces page.sections (which is removed) and handles all header and footer bars
- Fixed Toolbars are now an extension on the toolbar widget
- Toolbars work outside of pages
- True persistant Toolbars
- Textinput: added option corners
- Slider and Rangeslider: added option corners.
- New set of vector-based icons from Glyphish with fallbacks via Grunticon
- Base tag support
- New flip switch widget
- New filterable widget
- Integrated UI tabs widget
- Popup work outside of pages
- Panel work outside of pages
- Option wrapperClass to add custom classes to a generated wrapper
- All widgets (excluding listview, tables, and selectmenu, panel) have options that can be set after the widget has been instantiated. Dialog-related options must be set via the page plugin ( i.e., $( “#myDialog” ).page( “option”, “closeBtn”, “none” ) )
- All widgets (excluding listview, tables, and selectmenu, dialog, toolbar, panel) have an option named “enhanced” that allows you to provide the markup the widget itself would generate, thus saving startup time
- Table now also has a rebuild method that makes it possible to dynamically add columns
- Autoinit: Now any widget included in a jquery mobile site will get automatic init by using data-role=”widgetname”
- $.fn.enhanceWithin() to enhance all content within the selected element
- Textinput: Option inset was introduced in 1.4.0 Alpha 1 to style the filterable input when used in combination with a listview. This option has been removed. Class ui-filterable is used to adjust the style.
- Added dialog extension for page which simply styles a page as a dialog to replace deprecated dialog widget.
- Setting data-defaults=”true” will skip checking of data-attributes for widget options
- Theming: The theme swatch for pages does no longer default to “c” but “a”. Dialog overlays still default to “a”. The loader theme defaults to “a” instead of “e”. Headers and footers don’t have default “a” anymore but inherit the page theme. Panels no longer default to theme “c” but inherit. List dividers don’t default to “b” but inherit the list theme. Count bubbles in listviews don’t default to “c” anymore, but inherit from the LI/button/divider. Count bubbles in multiple selects always had theme “c” but now always inherit the theme from the button.
- Button style: We now use the same padding and icon positioning rules for all elements that are styled as button and changed px values to em values.
- Option mini: We don’t set specific padding values for ui-mini anymore, but only set a smaller font-size. Because we use em values now, the padding will still be adjusted. Instead of data-mini=”true” you can add class ui-mini to a container. Now it’s also very easy to use a media query to only apply the mini size at a certain screen width.
- Icons: We use :after pseudo element for icons instead of adding a span with class ui-icon. The icon class (ui-icon-[iconname]) is added to the button.
- data-add-back-btn now set on toolbar not page
- Listview filter has been replaced by new generic filter widget (“filterable”)
- Panel: Always scroll to top when opening a panel, unless it’s a fixed panel
- Count bubbles in listviews and the custom selectmenu button now use body theme.
- Collapsible: content theme is inherited from container by default and can be set to false to have no theme.
- Classes “ui-icon-nodisc” and “ui-icon-alt” have been renamed to ui-nodisc-icon and ui-alt-icon, because using the same naming structure as for icon classes (ui-icon-search, ui-icon-delete, etc.) was causing conflicts.
- Default for panel option theme is now null (inherit) instead of “a”.
- Widgets outside pages inherited the theme from the overlay but we reverted this change because of conflicts during transitions.
- Renamed content widget to pagecontainer widget
- No generating of inner button markup (.ui-btn-inner and .ui-btn-text) anymore. For linked listviews this means the anchor is now the button and no longer get class .ui-link-inherit.
- Listviews: We no longer add the classes ui-li-has-arrow (list item).
- Button: Button elements are no longer wrapped in a div. Inputs type submit and reset used to get class ui-submit on the wrapper div. This has been changed to class ui-input-btn and also applies to input type button. The native input element no longer gets class ui-btn-hidden.
- Form labels: Labels no longer get a class (they used to get the widget class).
- Listview: Removed nested listview feature (deprecated in 1.3).
- Dropped support for IE7 and BB5 (now C-grade)
- Listviews: List buttons with icons get the ui-btn-icon-right class again.
- Deprecated auto-enhancement of links and button elements in toolbars, including adding the ui-btn-left/right classes in header.
- Deprecated class ui-disabled. Use class ui-state-disabled instead.
- Deprecated class ui-btn-corner-all. One corner class: ui-corner-all (corner radii for buttons have selector .ui-btn.ui-corner-all).
- Listviews thumbs and icons (small image left): The feature to auto-detect thumbs and icons has been deprecated to improve performance. If a list item (read-only) or button (linked) contains a thumb you have to add class ui-li-has-thumb to the LI. If it contains an icon you have to add ui-li-has-icon to the LI and don’t have to add class ui-li-icon to the image element anymore. Also, the framework doesn’t add class ui-li-thumb anymore in 1.4.
- Theming inheritance: Deprecated getInheritedTheme(). Theme inheritance is done with CSS now.
- Deprecated $.fn.mobile.fieldcontain() and data-role=”field-contain”. Just add class “ui-field-contain”.
- Icon shadow: Deprecated option iconshadow for buttons and select. You can use class ui-shadow-icon on a container or a button (same as ui-icon-alt and ui-icon-nodisc). Also work with listviews, controlgroups, checkbox/radio, etc. that didn’t have option iconshadow.
- The second pagebeforechange has been replaced with pagebeforetransition. Both will be triggered for compatibility.
- Deprecated current persistent fixed toolbars in favor of true persistent (outside page)
- Deprecated current dialog widget. Dialog will is now an option in the page widget data-dialog=”true”.
- Deprecated current slider and rangeslider widget. We are going to refactor or replace the slider widget in next version.
- Deprecated input element generation for filter
- Deprecated filterPlaceholder option for filterable – just provide your own input via the data-input option
- Deprecated filterTheme option for filterable – just provide your own input via the data-input option
- Deprecated current behaviour of stripping query strings from hashes. Starting in 1.5 we’ll be following spec on hashes and provide a hook to handle custom navigation.
- Deprecated reading DOM parameters from buttonMarkup. If you call buttonMarkup, pass buttonMarkup-related options into the function via its options parameter, not via the element that needs to be enhanced.
- Deprecated calling create to enhance a container or widget $.fn.enhanceWithin() will now be the method to enhance containers
- Deprecated setContainerBackground and removeContainerBakcground instead set option on content widget
- Deprecated $.mobile.pageContainer with new content widget there can be more then one page container
- Deprecated $.mobile.changePage
- Deprecated $.mobile.loadPage
- Deprecated degradeInputs option on page will now be global $.mobile.degradeInputs
- Deprecated keepNativeSelector on page widget and keepNative option on page widget will be replace by $.mobile.keepNative which will just be a string selector
- Deprecated $.mobile.subPageUrlKey was only used by nested listview which is deprecated
- Deprecated $.mobile.* for any class options most of these will be removed remaining ones will move to something like $.mobile.classes which will be an object
- Deprecated $.mobile.minScrollBack any amount of scrolling will be preserved to match native behavior changing default to 0 until 1.5 when it will be removed
- Deprecated data-role=”content” and option contentTheme (data-theme). This also means that the framework no longer adds ARIA role “main”. Add class ui-content and role=”main” in your markup instead.
- Deprecated the application of class ui-link to anchors. The CSS now selects anchors directly.
- Deprecated class ui-li-has-icon (you can override height/width rules to match your image size). We provide class ui-li-thumb to position elements other than img.
- Deprecated listview option countTheme. As from 1.5 the count bubble will inherit the theme from its container or you can add class ui-body-[a-z] to the ui-li-count element to specify a theme.
- Deprecated data-role=”collapsible-set” for collapsible set. As of 1.5.0 it will be data-role=”collapsibleset”
- Deprecated collapsibleset’s behaviour whereby it only enhances children that match the collapsible initSelector. As of 1.5.0 collapsibleset will turn all its children into collapsible widgets.
- Deprecated auto-hiding of dividers during filtering. As of 1.5.0 divider autohiding is no longer related to whether you’re filtering or not. It is a filtering-independent option of the listview. You must add data-hidedividers=”true” to a listview in order for dividers to be automatically hidden when all the items in the section they designate are hidden/removed.
- Deprecated class ui-hide-label (was meant to be used with field containers). Basically it negated the effect of field containers so you get the same result by not using field containers and adding class ui-hidden-accessible to the label.
- Deprecated $.mobile.activePageClass, $.mobile.activeBtnClass, $.mobile.focusClass
- Deprecated buttonMarkup method
- Deprecated table-stroke and table-stripe classes
- Deprecated $.mobile.getDocumentUrl and $.mobile.getDocumentBase – both are available from $.mobile.path (not documented in current API docs)
- Deprecated $.mobile.activePage. Use the getActivePage method on pagecontainer widget or activePage property (not documented in current API docs)
For a full list of changes see the list of 1.4 fixed tickets on GitHub.
- Uncompressed: jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.js (useful for debugging)
- Minified and Gzipped: jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.min.js (24KB, ready to deploy)
- Uncompressed with Default theme: jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.css (useful for debugging)
- Minified and Gzipped with Default theme: jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.min.css (7KB, ready to deploy)
- Uncompressed structure without a theme: jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.css (useful for theme development)
- Minified and Gzipped structure without a theme: jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.min.css (6KB, ready to deploy)
Copy-and-Paste Snippet for CDN-hosted files:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://code.jquery.com/mobile/1.4.0-rc.1/jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.min.css"> <script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.10.2.min.js"></script> <script src="http://code.jquery.com/mobile/1.4.0-rc.1/jquery.mobile-1.4.0-rc.1.min.js"></script>
jQuery Mobile 1.4 Beta 1 supports jQuery core 1.8.3 – 1.10.2 and 2.0.3.
ZIP File: If you want to host the files yourself you can download a zip of all the files:
Fork jQuery Mobile on GitHub